We are interested in purchasing some items for our
exam rooms in a community ED setting. We are looking
at electronics such as TV/DVD/VCR and video game
systems (console vs handhelds). We did once have a
portable unit from the Starbright foundation but the
controllers would be stolen and games would go missing
and the VCR stopped working etc. Has anyone had
success with these things and have advice on a system
to safeguard items. We also hope to identify
educational resources such as videos on common
pediatric topics that could be watched on the TVs and
any advice on where to look for such things would also
be appreciated. And finally on a loosely related note
does anyone regularly use a topical anesthetic
(Synera, LMX4, EMLA) and how do you successfully
incorporate it into your system? (placed at triage in
anticipation or venipuncture?)
Thanks in advance
Robert Dudas MD
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center