Dr. Bakes,

In my 3rd year of fellowship we had a bad airway in a
6 month old with Junctional Epidermolysis Bullosa with
airway involvement.  Intubation attempts failed and
she lost her airway.  Needle cric was performed with
an 18 guage angiocath (I know - should have used a
needle or a reinforced angiocath) and we attached to
the back of a 3.0 ETT.  Was briefly able to oxygenate,
but lost the needle cric while trying to re-start her
heart - she unfortunately died.

Ugly situation all the way around but if you get to
that point I belive your likelihood of survival is
pretty low no matter what you do.

Respectfully,
Erik Schobitz
Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Shady Grove Advntist Hospital
Rockville, MD
--- "Bakes, Katherine" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Wondering if anyone out there has performed a needle
> cric and if you used jet ventilation or bagged the
> patient--and what the result was.
>
> Thanks.
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in
> this message is legally
> privileged and confidential information intended for
> the use of the individual or
> entity named above. If the reader of this message is
> not the intended recipient, or
> the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to
> the intended recipient, you are
> hereby notified that any release, dissemination,
> distribution, or copying of this
> communication is strictly prohibited. If you have
> received this communication in
> error, please notify the author immediately by
> replying to this message and delete
> the original message.
> Thank you
>
> For more information, send mail to
> [log in to unmask] with the message: info
> PED-EM-L
> The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:

Looking for last minute shopping deals?

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: