-----Original Message-----
From: Pediatric Emergency Medicine Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Julia Whitefield
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:25 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: triage pulse ox

I, too, feel the same about pulseoximetry on patients without
respiratory symptoms (ankle injury for instance..) and feel that BPs
would be more important on every patient, however, I think it is beyond
our control as it is required by JCAHO as the '5th vital sign'.
Julia Whitefield
ABQ, UNM> Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:09:23 -0800> From:
[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: triage pulse ox> To:
[log in to unmask]> > I also agree that doing pulse ox on every
patient who comes to ER increases cost and time spent but the reason
that we do pulse ox on every patient that comes into our ER is to create
a uniformity of doing all the vital signs on all patients at triage
level rather than leaving this decision to the person doing triage (who
sometimes is of a junior level) and risk missing/delaying serious
respiratory patients.> > Dr Kamran Sadiq> Instuctor research> Aga Khan
University Hospital> Karachi Pakistan> > > Don Zweig <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:> I totally agree. I was just answering the question. I do not set
the > policy.> On Feb 16, 2008, at 6:33 AM, Gill Winnik wrote:> > > The
question is how often that fifth vital sign (pulse oximetery) > > really
helps in clinical management and or changes management in > > children
without any respiratory complaint or sign.> > Getting a pulse oximetry
adds time to the triage process and a cost > > (those disposable sensors
are not cheap, even if we use them for > > more than one patient).> > My
experience is that getting a pulse oximeter reading on a child > > who
does not have any cardiovascular or respiratory complaints or > > signs
is almost always "not helpful' and therefore a waste.> >> > Giora (Gill)
Winnik MD> > Maimonides Medical Center> > Brooklyn NY> > 718-283-6021>
>> > ________________________________> >> > From: Pediatric Emergency
Medicine Discussion List on behalf of Don > > Zweig> > Sent: Fri
2/15/2008 10:09 AM> > To: [log in to unmask]> > Subject: Re:
triage pulse ox> >> >> >> > Us too. Although we are not a ped's er but
see 65 k pts (lots of kids> > obviously)/.> >> > don> > On Feb 15, 2008,
at 2:16 AM, james reingold wrote:> >> >> Pulse ox is the 5th vital sign
for us, done on every pt.> >>> >> James Reingold, MD> >> Phoenix> Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:10:51 -0800> From: [log in to unmask]> >>> Subject:
triage pulse ox> To: [log in to unmask]> > What> >> criteria
are you using to do pulse oximetry on patients in triage?> >> All
patients, all urgent and emergent, based on symptoms? Thanks for> >>
your help.> > > Jay D. Fisher MD FAAP> Director of Pediatric> >>
Emergency Services> Emergency Physicians Medical Group> University> >>
Medical Center, Las Vegas NV> St. Rose Sienna Hospital, Henderson> >>
NV> > For more information, send mail to [log in to unmask]> >>
with the message: info PED-EM-L> The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page> >>
is:>
http://www.brown.edu/Administration/Emergency_Medicine/ped-em-l.html> >>
_________________________________________________________________> >>
Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser!> >>
http://biggestloser.msn.com/> >> For more information, send mail to

______________________________________________________________________>
> This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service. > >
To report any issues regarding e-mail SPAM ONLY, please notify > >
Vitaly Petrovsky at ext. 1853.> > ________________> >> >> >> >
______________________________________________________________________>
> This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service. > >
To report any issues regarding e-mail SPAM ONLY, please notify > >
Vitaly Petrovsky at phone#: 718-283-1853.> >
______________________________________________________________________ >
> > > Donald Zweig MD> [log in to unmask]> > For more information, send
mail to [log in to unmask] with the message: info PED-EM-L> The
URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:>
http://www.brown.edu/Administration/Emergency_Medicine/ped-em-l.html> >
> > ---------------------------------> Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo
your homepage.> > For more information, send mail to
[log in to unmask] with the message: info PED-EM-L> The URL for
the PED-EM-L Web Page is:>
message: info PED-EM-L
The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: