Matahaniya ang ROGER MILLS <[log in to unmask]>:

> From a quick look at those sites, the script _appears_ to
> be quite alphabetic,

It is, but the way vowels are written is quite peculiar
among writing systems I think.

> though I see there are symbols for
> combinations like "str" etc. Are there symbols for common
> endings, like "-ung, -en, -es" etc? (I didn't look at
> everything....) Are common words abbreviated-- e.g.
> "should" in Gregg was written with "sh+d" symbols,
> (homonyms, I think, would have to be more fully
> specified), "the" was just "th"symbol, etc.  When
> transcribing, context was important.

Yes, there are various levels. Verkehrsschrift
(Redeschrift?) has lots of ligatures and abbreviations for
common words, and much more simplification wrt which sounds
are written as well. As I said, I have had a brief look at
it when I was 14 or so, but I have never gained any
proficiency in it. Maybe Henrik, Jörg or Philip (or other,
lurking German speakers) are able to give more information.

Carsten

--
Tenena, Kardaying 2, 2317 ya 13:18:02 pd
Wednesday, February 13, 2008 at 12:08:38 am