on 2/23/08 9:16 PM, Rick Harrison at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> What would anyone suggest as a starting point for delving more deeply into the
> study of
> syntax (for the purpose of designing syntax)? I'm thinking about getting The
> Oxford
> Handbook of Comparative Syntax.

Hiya Rick!

_Word Order Universals_ by John A. Hawkins (1983: Academic Press, New York)
has a wealth of idea generatin' tidbits and references. And it is not that
cut&dry like some other linguistics texts... I found it quite eduatainin'
and in spots quite ethnologically-aware, even multi-cultural in the
socio-political sense (a la ethnomathematics).

(greetin's ta everyone else on the list...)