In a message dated 2/22/2008 02:21:54 AM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Wasn't their a native Cyrillic character for /T/?  If I'm remember
> right, it looked like an upper case Roman V.  The letter I'm
> thinking of is a V with a little tail on the upper right.  It's pictured
> here, but it doesn't give it's value, unless I'm missing it:
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrillic_alphabet>

Russian (and Cyrillic in general) used to have additional letters, some
retained from Greek.  Two of these were derived from upsilon and theta (fita) .
They were used in words of Greek original especially, and pronounced as /i/ and
/f/, respectively.  It was the fita that looked like a <V>.

stevo
    </HTML>