On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Jörg Rhiemeier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>  To my taste, there is too much deletionism in fashion.

*nods*

>  And it is a bit self-contradictory to
>  forbid references to open wikis if your own project itself is
>  an open wiki, isn't it?

I don't think they'd vote themselves as a reliable source to reference, either.

After all, encyclopædias (which they are trying to be) aren't supposed
to be sources to reference, but rather something lists basic
information about a topic and includes lists of "real" references,
which would be the ones you cite instead.

AFAIK, in academic writing, you're not supposed to say that
"Wikipedia/Britannica/... says that X" but that "Smith (1950) says
that X", though it's fine to use WP/EB/... to find that Smith (1950)
is a good book on the topic of Y and one you might want to cite.

Cheers,
--
Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>