--- Risto Kupsala <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Kjell Rehnström wrote:
> > In fakt novial usat li ortografie del skandinavik
> lingves. In adminim
> > norvegian on posse skrir "stasjon" e "senter" pro
> li plu international
> > "station" e "center". Pro quo no skrir "sosialism"
> kvam ank li norvegianes.
>
> Some spellings have been simplified also in Swedish,
> such as as "konsert".
>
> It's tragicomic how conservative some Eurolangs are
> with regard to
> spelling. I think Jespersen did wisely when he
> cleared the mess about C,
> but he took it too far when he removed also Z. All
> Europeans can pronounce
> [z] except the Scandinavians, so he clearly imported
> his Scandinavian bias
> there.

In a way this is also a matter of timing. With the
rise of some non-IE languages such as Japanese and
Indonesian that use a number of "European" terms with
non-classical spelling, Novial might get a better
hearing now. I do consider dropping <z> a bad idea, as
I mentioned earlier. What would you do with -tione,
assuming you kept it? (I wouldn't, in most cases.)

Steve

Be a better friend, newshound, and