In a message dated 3/2/2008 22:17:48 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> (On the other hand, once you've said "She cried", adding "and cried"
> doesn't really seem to add anything new semantically, the way adding
> "and got a tissue" or something like that; it's just restating
> something we've just stated.)

I disagree.  It indicates that the crying continued beyond the expected
length or amount of crying.  Repeating "and cried" again indicates that the crying
went even beyond the limits expected after the first use of "and cried".  It
does add something new to the sentence.

stevo   </HTML>