Hallo!

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 19:00:54 -0800, Sai Emrys wrote:

> How about something like this:
>
> Every page that is about a specific conlang or otherwise a matter
> where this concern over author's creative purview is relevant, carries
> a template at the top specifying what the appropriate participation
> level is for that page.

Yes, that could be useful.

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 20:18:47 -0800, Sai Emrys wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 7:20 PM, Eugene Oh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > I've been kind of wondering
> >  for a rather long time how Pedia did its alternative languages thing
> >  in the sidebar, and whether we couldn't do the same with Frath's,
> >  instead of just having "this page in Piscean/Satirocitan/etc.", for
> >  example.
>
> I'd suggest that a conpedia actually ought *not* copy wikipedia in this.
>
> Essentially, Wikipedia strives to be language-agnostic - serving
> moreorless (hypothetically!) the same content to everyone in their
> native (or perhaps auxlingual) tongue.
>
> We, on the other hand, are very much language-gnostic. And, let's be
> honest - aside from a very small set of things that serve as standard
> translation texts, nobody will be reading the entire wiki in a
> particular language.

Correct.  One must distinguish between languages an article is written
*in*, and languages an article is written *about*.  The Wikipedia
sidebar links to articles on the same subject in different languages.
So far, we don't have a German FrathWiki, a Spanish FrathWiki, etc.
Much less, a FrathWiki in any of the conlangs presented on FrathWiki.

> So, rather than having a WP-style
> different-domains-for-different-languages format, I would suggest
> in-article parallelism.
>
> So, if an article about a language is available *in* that language, we
> have a standardized two-column format. Sorta like you'd find in e.g. a
> original-and-translation Bible at the most detailed (with footnotes on
> translation quirks and all), or other parallel-translation text more
> commonly.

If the author chooses to present it that way, fine.  Others may feel
more comfortable with putting the translation on a separate page.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf