Eric C.
<<
Second, does anyone know of any theory dealing with reduplication
where both the base and the reduplicant have some sort of *semantic*
value and are related syntactically or morphologically? See, I don't
even have the vocabulary to ask that question clearly. Unfortunately,
I can't think of a really good example right now, but a contrived one
would be _book book_, meaning a book *about* books.* In that phrase,
both instances of _book_ carry semantic information which is related
in a grammatical way, and the whole phrase _book book_ differs from
_book_ in a substantially *semantic* way, rather than a purely
grammatical way (like it would if reduplication could form plurals in
English).

The only example I can think of that comes close comes from
Turkish:

kitap = book
kitap mitap = books and related materials

It's like, "Hand me that book and the other stuff related to the
book" (loose papers, maybe a pamphlet, pencils, pens, etc.).  Book
stuff, essentially.  There's a bit of a write-up on Wikipedia, and
probably more elsewhere.

-David

-Jim Morrison

http://dedalvs.free.fr/