On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 10:57:57 -0500, Philip Newton
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 6:35 AM, Paul Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>>  Dual-boot is so 1990s. VMware is definitely the new hotness.
>
> Does it do hardware graphics acceleration, though, so you can play
> games that you only have for your secondary operating system? (Or view
> graphical eye-candy in your window manager, or whatever.)

Current versions don't do direct host graphics access for the guest OS. I
understand it's one of the highest priorities for new features, though. It
would require some pretty clever driver magic in the guest, but luckily
there are some pretty clever people working on the problem.

> I thought that consumer-grade virtualisation wasn't that good at that
> sort of thing, yet. That'd still be a market for dual-booting, I'd
> say.

You may well have a very good point indeed.

Personally, I've always (at home, at least) run Windows hosts with Linux
guests (currently Vista x64 hosting Gentoo x64), so the issue has never
come up.

Paul