On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 14:16:17 -0600, Eric Christopherson
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On Mar 2, 2008, at 1:59 PM, David J. Peterson wrote:
>
>> Stevo:
>> <<
>> Is that even reduplication?  It seems to me to be mere repetition.
>> >>

>> I agree.  We see the same thing in English with longer phrases:
>>
>> "And she would come here all the time, all the time, all the time."
>
>Yeah. I guess what I'm getting at is where the dividing line is
>between repetition and reduplication.

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that
(a) if it's partial, as in IndoEuropean languages (e.g. Latin cecini "I sang"), it's
reduplication
(b) if it's full but infixed, it's reduplication (sorry, no example, but I did see this
recently)
(c) other cases are more difficult, but I'd say if there's only one stress, it may
be reduplication and if each part has its own stress, it has to be repetition.

Jeff