---- "Jörg Rhiemeier" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 00:40:23 -0500, Reilly Schlaier wrote:
>
> > how would one go about writing a double articulation of [t] and [?]
>
> [t?)]
>
> ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

I don't think ) is used in SAMPA, or even X-SAMPA for that matter, AFAIK. [t?)] is CXS; I think you could use [t_?] in X-SAMPA, but I haven't seen anything about SAMPA being able to transcribe coarticulation.

I've been wondering something -- is there a difference between a sound with a coarticulated glottal stop and an ejective or implosive? I seem to recall reading somewhere that consonants could be glottalized without necessarily being ejectives or implosives.

Reilly, if you mean an ejective [t], it would be [t_>] in X-SAMPA or CXS. For implosive [t] (which is rarer than implosive [d] but still possible), [t_<].