> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of steve rice

> --- [log in to unmask] wrote:
> The claim is that
> > European (or any
> > other culturally specific) languages give favoritism
> > to a particular
> > group, therefore they are not neutral on a global
> > scale.  Neutrality
> > is one of the most important features of an auxlang.
>
> How neutrality is defined is the other point. I'm not
> only a native speaker of English, I'm a writer and an
> editor with an unusually good grasp of the language
> (GRE verbal score of 800/800). So I can not only pound
> non-native speakers in a usage contest, I can whip
> most native speakers as well.
>
> But if we were doing this in some other language, that
> advantage would diminish or outright disappear. If we
> picked a language none of us knew natively--Eo, Ido,
> Occ, Ia, whatever--we could have exchanges, but no one
> could dominate based on native ability. That sounds
> neutral to me, so long as overall learning time isn't
> too long.

Almost nobody knows Esperanto natively, but Romance speakers, and to
some extent English speakers are already familiar with a large
portion of the vocabulary while an Asian is essentially learning
something that is 100% foreign.  Also there are grammatical
structures like required tense markers and plural forms that come
easily to Westerners but are a problem for a lot of Asians.  A
language that gives Westerners all the advantages at the expense of
everyone else is nowhere near neutral.  I don't even consider E-o to
be neutral within Europe because it still favors the Romance
languages due to the large amount of Latin or Romance based
vocabulary leaving little Germanic and almost no Slavic
representation.  Now if the EU suddenly chose Chinese as an auxlang,
that could be considered neutral within the scope of Europe because
it would be exotic and difficult for everyone so nobody really has
any particular advantage.  Not that I'd recommend such a thing, but
a relexed E-o or Ido which distributes the lexical load a little
better could be neutral (within the EU scope) and easy.