> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of steve rice

> > Of all the natural languages I looked at during my
> > research, I've
> > found that the popular Austronesian languages like
> > Malay-Indonesian,
> > Javanese or Tagalog/Filipino seem to have structures
> > and phonologies
> > that are very accomodating to a world audience.
> > Indonesian, for
> > example, has a simple isolating grammar but still
> > has a derivational
> > system with a morphology and phonology that isn't
> > too hard to
> > pronounce though if you hear it spoken it is spoken
> > very quickly.
> > On the downside,  the derivational system is a
> > strange mix of
> > prefixes, suffixes, cirumfixes and some infixes.
> > Other difficulties
> > are features like honorific forms and measure words.
> >
> Indonesian is less active derivationally than Malay,
> which may be helpful. ..

I wonder if that's anything to do with most Indonesian speakers
being L2.

> .. I dislike closed syllables with
> anything but a nasal coda, so I'd prefer something
> different phonologically.

I don't see much problem with the closed syllables.  Those that have
problems could always put a vowel on the end like the stereotypical
Italian speaking English.  Even nasals can be an issue for some
speakers who will tend to nasalize the preceding vowel and omit the
consonant.

> One of the minor epiphanies I've had from studying
> English-based creoles is handling Cl and Cr: I simply
> use Cw, so "tree" becomes "twi." It looks a little
> odd, but it's pretty easy to say and recognize with a
> little practice. Similarly, -er becomes -a ("komputa"
> is already fairly international) and -el/-le becomes
> -u (trickier: "able" > ?ebu).

For Ingli, I've accepted the non-rhotic model as easier but I'm
still undecided about the dark /l/ which I'm more inclined to make
into /o/ than /u/ if I decide to go that way.  The main issue is
that it could leave some funny diphthongs like /eU/ or /iU/.

The C+l or C+r leave a few weird possiblities too because /tr/ can
sound at lot like /t_S/.  I've even heard that the Vietnamese name
<tran> is actually the Chinese <chan> but with a different
Romanization.

Side note:

My crashed hard drive just mysteriously started working again last
night.  Ingli, my loglan and all my other lost works from the past 6
months or so are now being backed up as I write this, just in case
the f^<&ing thing decides to flake out on me again.  What a relief!
I'd be even happier if I could get it to boot so I can copy the
image, saving me the long task of reinstalling and reconfigurting a
zillion pieces of software.

FIAT LINGUA