James Chandler wrote:
 > I've been looking into Arabic morphology with the
 > "binyanim" and so forth. I was wondering how the
 > worldlangers go about incorporating Arabic words into
 > their schemes. How do you decide which binyan to
 > take: kitab or kaatab?

In general I don't take anything directly from Arabic but from languages
that have borrowed from Arabic, for example Persian, Urdu and
Indonesian, to mention a few. I'm constantly making comparative analysis
of words in different languages with the help of electronic, printed and
online dictionaries.

 > Also, do you take any affixes from Arabic?

There are no pure affixes in Pandunia. But I consider Arabic "mu-" and
excellent candidate for actor (-er) because it is identical with Bantu
prefix mu- that denotes person (in Swahili it is condensed to m-). Also
reciprocal verb prefix "ta-" is nice, because such doesn't exist in the
Western languages.

 > The other thing that struck me in looking at the
 > variety of the world's languages, is just how much
 > knowledge of different language groups in needed to
 > build a worldlang. It's going to be a huge
 > engineering task..

As it happens, I'm an engineer by profession. I have put a lot of time
in studying world's languages, and I know that the other worldlangers
are doing the same. I have conciously aimed at reduced grammar in
Pandunia, so that it wouldn't be necessary to go through so much
information about affixes and other grammatical matters in different
languages. When facing such a huge amount of data, the most important
thing is to keep it simple and avoid unnecessary and fruitless work.
Otherwise nothing will get done.

--
Risto Kupsala
http://www.kupsala.net/risto