Wow, I never knew the Latin vulgate was such a crappy translation.
It's good to reference because half of the time I'm able to just use
the original Latin words, but when it's wrong it's really wrong.
Here's a comparison to the New American Standard (the most literal of
translations):

1:15	The perverse are hard to be corrected, and the number of fools is
infinite. (perversi difficile corriguntur et stultorum infinitus est
numerus)

Real translation: What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is
lacking cannot be counted.

My translation: Illo que es curvo non pote es facto recto, et illo que
defice non pote es numerato.

This one's even worse:

2:3 I thought in my heart, to withdraw my flesh from wine, that I
might turn my mind to wisdom, and might avoid folly, till I might see
what was profitable for the children of men...	(cogitavi in corde meo
abstrahere a vino carnem meam ut animum meum transferrem ad sapientiam
devitaremque stultitiam donec viderem quid esset utile filiis
hominum....)

Real translation: I explored with my mind how to stimulate my body
with wine while my mind was guiding me wisely, and how to take hold of
folly, until I could see what good there is for the sons of men

My translation: Me e cogita in meo corde, que me vol da me ipso ad
vino, sed cognoscente sapientia in meo corde, et etiam vol prehende
stultia, pro vide que es utile ad filios de homo

So 2:3 is not just a bad translation, it's exactly the opposite
(withdrawing one's flesh from wine vs. stimulating one's body with
wine). Something to keep an eye on when I get around to doing books
that I don't know as well as Ecclesiastes.

Once again, corrections are *always* welcome. Once I'm done the book
I'll probably start really pestering people to take a good look at it.

--
http://idistaro.com