--- Jens Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> --- steve rice <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > But they (and some scholars and tourists) are the
> > place to start. The proper target demographic is
> > those
> > who have picked up a smattering of English (or
> > perhaps
> > some other internationally used language), but
> can't
> > seem to master it: the English Eternaj
> Komencantoj.
>
> Something completely different, but related in a
> way.
> Talking about eternaj komencantoj of English, I was
> watching the Dalai Lama speak on TV today, and
> though
> his English is quite proficient in some ways, in
> some
> ways, i.e. pronunciation, it's fairly obvious that
> the
> complexity of English sounds, especially the
> consonant
> clusters, make it difficult for him. He is obviously
> articulate, but it's often difficult to make out
> exactly what he is trying to say because of the
> accent.

One of the points in favor of an English-based creole
is simplifying the phonology. There was a project
early last century called the Glan-ik (so far as I
know, on this list only Paul Bartlett and I know about
it) that was a great artlang. It had a full complement
of vowels, etc., so I wouldn't want to pursue it as an
auxlang. (It would be easier than regular English,
though, and the phonology is slightly simpler.) If
Dana had more time he might find it interesting.

But the point of interest is that the Glan-ik was
supposed to be a trade language: a way to simplify
English specifically for use with people who need
international contact but can't manage regular
English. It's a good idea; it just needs tweaking in a
truly creolish direction--the Glan-ik came out before
creolistics had gone very far.

Steve

Be a better friend, newshound, and