--- steve rice <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> One of the minor epiphanies I've had from studying
> English-based creoles is handling Cl and Cr: I
> simply
> use Cw, so "tree" becomes "twi." It looks a little
> odd, but it's pretty easy to say and recognize with
> little practice. Similarly, -er becomes -a
> ("komputa"
> is already fairly international) and -el/-le becomes
> -u (trickier: "able" > ?ebu).

That's something that struck me too when I started
doing the phonology of NP. And actually, that kind of
process is seen other places as well. Doesn't Italian
have a lot of words where "pl" for example becomes
"py"? like plano to piano.

Jens Wilkinson
Neo Patwa language: http://patwa.pbwiki.com

Be a better friend, newshound, and