--- Dmitri Ivanov <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> --- In [log in to unmask], steve rice
> <ansric@...> wrote:
> >
> > --- Dmitri Ivanov <lingwadeplaneta@...> wrote:
> >
> > > --- In [log in to unmask], MacLeod Dave

> than
> > > darabi because >
> the
> > > Arabic one (also it > is

> they
> > > use darbe. Coup
> > > shows that it's
> > > >
> > > I recall now that the decision to adopt "darbi"
> was
> > > also due to the
> > > Chinese da(3) and to several Hindi forms
> containing
> > > "ar": marna,
> > > parna, prahar karna. It's clever to take into
> > > account not simply
> > > loanwords but general sound shape in different
> > > languages. So in
> > > "darbi", actually taken from Arabic, there is
> also
> > > something close to
> > > Chinese, Russian and Hindi in its sound shape,
> > > say nothing of the
> > > related words in Turkish etc. That's the way LdP
> > > works.
> > >
> > It's also similar to the composite primitive
> technique
> > of Loglan, only on a less formalized level.
> >
> The difference is that the words are real, no
> fantastic words like
> "bukshu" (buk+shu) are produced. Also, a similar
> sound form is just
> one of the factors to be considered, but it is not
> always present.

Excellent! An "artificial" language with "real" words
that are not "fantastic." I've seen some really
"fantastic" words in some really "real" languages
(especially pidgins and creoles). So even though
"darbi" apparently doesn't "really" occur anywhere
(though its derivatives more or less do), it is
"real."

I wish you could do my taxes for me.

Steve

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs