--- Antony Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Taking all such things into account, it isnít
> necessarily true that  Russian speakers would be
> further up the hierarchy than Japanese speakers.
> Individually, though, anyone who has
> mastered a major language at the highest level -
> particularly one as difficult as Classical
> Arabic - should be able to speak the acrolect when
> it is formulated.

I'm far from an expert in Russian, but are there
really native speakers of Russian who are not able to
pronounce the different sounds of the language? There
may be some variation. For example, there are some
accents in English where people aren't able to
pronounce the "r" at the end of words. And others
aren't able to or don't pronounce the "th" sounds.

At least in Japanese, speakers of any dialect are
unable to make a distinction between L and R. As Larry
wrote in his response, of course, nobody is claiming
that all people have equal linguistic abilities. There
are people who are musically inclined and do well with
new sounds, and others who don't. I've met Japanese
people (often young, but not necessarily so) who have
been quite good with the English sounds, and others,
often extremely talented in other areas, who were
incapable of pronouncing many English sounds.

I suppose the question I really am interested in
hearing your answer to is, exactly who are the people
who would use your acrolect with more phonemes? I
suggested that perhaps it would be people from a
language with more phonemes. And you noted it's not
what you meant. But who then would be the speakers?

Jens Wilkinson
Neo Patwa language: http://patwa.pbwiki.com

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs