"Dr Suzette Haden Elgin, a retired linguist formerly
at San Diego University in California, said: "I don't
see any way we can know whether the result of what's
going on now will be Panglish - a single English that
would have dialects... or scores of wildly varying
Englishes, many or most of them heading toward mutual
unintelligibility." How long will it take to find out?
"My guess, a wild guess, is less than 100 years."
"

Translation: "I don't know what's going to happen or
when it's going to happen.  In fact, I don't know much
at all really.  Am I really the closest thing to an
expert you could find to interview?"

Looking for last minute shopping deals?