On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 18:37:46 -0700, Jens Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>--- Antony Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
>wrote:
>
>> Taking all such things into account, it isn’t
>> necessarily true that  Russian speakers would be
>> further up the hierarchy than Japanese speakers.
>> Individually, though, anyone who has
>> mastered a major language at the highest level -
>> particularly one as difficult as Classical
>> Arabic - should be able to speak the acrolect when
>> it is formulated.
>
>I'm far from an expert in Russian, but are there
>really native speakers of Russian who are not able to
>pronounce the different sounds of the language? There
>may be some variation. For example, there are some
>accents in English where people aren't able to
>pronounce the "r" at the end of words. And others
>aren't able to or don't pronounce the "th" sounds.
>
>At least in Japanese, speakers of any dialect are
>unable to make a distinction between L and R. As Larry
>wrote in his response, of course, nobody is claiming
>that all people have equal linguistic abilities. There
>are people who are musically inclined and do well with
>new sounds, and others who don't. I've met Japanese
>people (often young, but not necessarily so) who have
>been quite good with the English sounds, and others,
>often extremely talented in other areas, who were
>incapable of pronouncing many English sounds.
>
>I suppose the question I really am interested in
>hearing your answer to is, exactly who are the people
>who would use your acrolect with more phonemes? I
>suggested that perhaps it would be people from a
>language with more phonemes. And you noted it's not
>what you meant. But who then would be the speakers?

I don’t know any Russian but assume that, as with any
other major language, there will be different dialects
and sociolects within it - some of which will have a
reduced grammar and/or phonology.

My answer to your second question is predicated upon
the notion that language is an aspect or manifestation
of culture - so an international language is an aspect
of international culture.

So long as the IAL were strictly auxiliary - which I believe
should be the case during the first phase (according
to the JPVP precedent) this shouldn’t be a factor, since
the primary focus of culture would still be national.

However, as soon as the IAL started to vernacularise it
would actually be the expression of a culture that was
more international than national. Thus from this point
the question of who would be using the language could
not really be answered in national terms.

The illustrative mnemonic scheme I came up with in
2001 shows only an increase in phonemes relative to
an arbitrary increase in mother tongue speakers but
makes no reference to prosody, syntax, inflection
and other aspects of grammar. In fact the latter
should develop commensurate with the phonology.

Assuming there is any validity in this scheme, it wouldn't
necessarily benefit those whose idiolect and native tongue
contained an extensive phonology, but whose grammar
had markedly diverged from that of the developing world
language. However, those concerned with international
culture might see the way in which it and the IAL were
developing, and position themselves accordingly. It would
remain true, therefore, that general linguistic capability
would predispose one to mastering the future acrolect.

Personally I have no idea as to where the acrolect might
end up. It might be similar to - or even identical with -
Classical Arabic, for instance, or it might be a very
different language.

I would say it is a fairly safe bet, though, that there will
be a gradual increase from simplicity to complexity
coevel with the development of international culture.

I know that there will be those who argue that national
co-existence is the most that can be hoped for, and that
international culture is nothing but a national culture
which has grown too big for its boots. They would
therefore argue that the IAL should remain a basic
auxiliary equipped only to perform such international
functions as are necessary.

Needless to say, I don’t share this view, and would
point to the JPVP as indicative of successful international
cultural and linguistic development.

Antony Alexander           http://langx.org