Hi,
I wonder if I could get some advice regarding the above-mentioned
phonemes. I discovered that I have two sounds which I am writing _h_
in Amhanara. The first is a proto Northeast Caucasian (pNEC) glottal
stop which I am changing into a roughly /h/-like sound in Amhanara.
The other is a pNEC /h/, which I am planning to change somewhat, but
not sure into what. I don't want it to disappear altogether, because
I have uses for it in the later phases of the language. But its loss
perhaps is the most likely outcome if you have /?/ turning to /h/ at
the same time, or what? What examples do we have from natural languages?

Starostin has a comparative Caucasian book out dated 2007, which I
haven't found available anywhere yet. That would have been very
helpful in this case. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough?

But if you have examples of similar developments from other languages
and families it would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks,
LEF