--- On Sat, 4/26/08, [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of steve
> rice
>
> > Also, a properly designed auxlang will use basic words
> anyone
> > with even a smattering of English can recognize, so
> the guy
> > in China gets a return on his learning investment, and
> he'll
> > find the pronunciation and grammar a lot easier too.
>
> A smattering of English is only going to help him a
> smattering
> anyway.  In a worldlang, he'll still have a smattering
> of vocabulary
> from his L1.   The difference being that the guy who has
> never
> studied any other language is still going to get his
> smattering in a
> worldlang.  If he is learning WENSA-Lang-X he's either
> going to get
> nothing or a something so close to his own language that
> there's
> little point to learning it anyway, all depending on where
> he comes
> from.

It will help both in a few ways. For one thing, if the base vocabulary is about a thousand words, even fifty words is something. But I think you'll find that the average Japanese or Chinese can do better than fifty words.

On the other hand, just in case everyone in the world does not immediately adopt the proposed auxlang--or until they do--it will provide mnemonics for some common English words and help them in that way.

> > For me, the relevant point is ease of use, so long as
> ease of
> > learning isn't particularly more difficult for one
> than for
> > another. The Spanish guy may learn the auxlang
> overnight, but
> > the Chinese guy should figure it out in a week or two.
> So
> > long as they can converse with equal ease afterward,
> all is well.
>
> But he's not going to figure it out in a week or two.
> He may learn
> some basic vocabulary in a week or two, but will likely
> never learn
> to add "-s" (or whatever) to plurals or use
> verbal tenses every
> time.  These are very real issues with Chinese that speak
> English,
> and it's not a problem with irregularites but with
> differing speech
> habits.

I am trying very hard not to question your literacy here. I already said that the proposed auxlang would not copy English grammar; plurals and tenses would be optional, though they would presumably look like those in English.

> > In my earlier post, Tokyo Joe Sixpack thought one of
> the
> > attractive features of the hypothetical auxlang was
> that the
> > English was simplified in a way similar to English
> loanwords
> > in Japanese.
>
> I call it Nihongurishi, check out my post on
> alt.language.artificial.  Just something I was toying with,
> not
> intended as an auxlang.

I wouldn't be copying Japanese phonology, though I would like to be close to it. For example, as in Sasxsek, I would have the l/r distinction but maintain complementary distribution. Of course, when I specified that an example I gave was a spur-of-the-moment invention, Risto still pretended that it was a serious proposal, so even stating intentions isn't enough with some people.

Steve

Be a better friend, newshound, and