Dave scrit:

>There was an orthopedic conference here in Seoul the other day, amonth back or so it was orthodontics. And foreign investment,technology fairs, and so on. With simple L2 communication people don'tneed a simple L2 because mangled English serves just fine there

I agree and would add that I think one of the reasons why English works (after a fashion) in such situations is that most of the technical vocabulary of the field is the same in all languages (modulo pronunciation differences).  So English just has to serve as a sort of pidgin glue for the technical words.  I've raised this point here before in a different context.  The closest IALs come to this is IALA Interlingua, which has itself been used as a vehicle for scientific conferences and journals.

Be a better friend, newshound, and