On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 9:30 AM, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jens Wilkinson

> I think that "astronaut" would be very easy to express. At
> least in English, it is something like "star" "sailor"
> ("sailor" is derived from "boat" in Greek). It could also be
> something like "universe-fly-man" like in Japanese. Or
> "universe-boat-man" like in Chinese I think.

I don't see any problem here either.  How about just
"space-traveler?"

As Steve wrote, by primary point was to question the fact that astronaut would be a difficult concept. "space traveler" seems fine too, though it's actually three ideas, "space-travel-er". In my example above too, "sailor" in Greek is related to "boat", so it would technically be something like "star-boat-er". It's interesting that in English as well, we say a "spaceship", so we are using the same semantic transfer that we adopt from Greek. In Chinese also they say a "space ship" rather than "space car". It's probably a more natural idea, since space-ships, like sea ships, have no wheels.

--
Jens Wilkinson
Neo Patwa (patwa.pbwiki.com)