>  > I don't know why worldlangers don't get it (and I should apologize
>  > ahead of time for being grumpy but my computer is broken so I'm
>  using
>  > somebody else's), but
>  >
>  > LEARNING VOCABULARY IS NOT THE MOST DIFFICULT PART OF LEARNING A
>  LANGUAGE.
>
>  Actually it is.  Grammar is generally pretty easy except for
>  learning all the irregularities and exceptions.  Vocabulary consists
>  of many hours of memorizing words, and knowing just how to use them
>  properly.

Actually it's not. Grammar, collocation and word order take the
longest. That's why German is harder for English speakers than
Indonesian. Knowing that the word neu is like the English word new is
no help when you have to remember to turn it into neue, neues, neuer
and all the rest. With Japanese you just remember the word atarashii,
put it before the noun and you're done.

>  It doesn't matter where "sap", "-ib", "-if", "-a", "-e" or "-i" come
>  from, only that the student knows how to use them.

That's my whole point. That's why a 'fair' vocab is not that
important, only derivation is.

--
http://mithridates.blogspot.com