[log in to unmask] skrev:
> I was just wondering about something, and maybe those of you here from other parts of the world could give some feedback.  In the US, it's considered rude to speak a foreign language in the presence of others.  I'm curious how widespread sentiments like this are around the world.  Also, could an auxlang, which is perceived as "neutral", overcome this somehow.

I don't think you can generalize.

Personally I recall an incident in my young years when I attendet a
dancing restaurant together with a friend from Hungary. He met a girl
who also was from Hungary and they were chatting along in Hungarian,
which made another guy who was sitting at the next table quite angry. He
thought they were speaking about him, which is fairly improbable.

In a tram in Moscow an elderly lady told us to speak Russian. We were
some people from Sweden and we of clurse spoke Swedish.

We were some Esperanto speakers who were talking in Esperanto in the
Stockholm Metro (T-banan). Some other passengers thought that was Finnish!

A Swedish speaker from Finland told me that people could get quite upset
if you spoke Swedish in a restaurant. This can easily occur, I think,
everywhere if people are a little bit drunk.

The bottom line is: It is not certain that an auxiliary language will
stop prejudices. Whispering in the company of others is also not too
good, as I understand.

You could even find yourself in a situation that an auxilanguage that
somewone tried to force on people would be less acceptable than, say
English.

Kjell R