2008/4/23, [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>:
> > [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of steve rice
>

> > > Still, there's no such thing as "at-sight" for
>  > > everyone.  At best,
>  > > even a WENSA-based language will only work for about
>  > > 1/3 of the
>  > > population leaving the rest out in the dark.
>  >
>  > Something that's "at sight" for people with some
>  > knowledge of English or a Romance language will reach
>  > most people who have shown an interest in matters
>  > global. As I've said many times, the vast majority of
>  > people in the world (including native anglophones)
>  > don't care enough to learn anything anyway; we might
>  > as well try for the motivated few.
>

> So we'll take some guy in China who has beens stuggling with
>  English, and give him yet another language loaded with the same
>  Western features that he is already having trouble with, while a guy
>  in Spain gets to benefit from a language so familiar to his own that
>  he can practically learn it overnight.

I'm not sure you understand the Asian mindset. People here are proud
of the effort they've put into learning English, even if they're not
very good, and they're not interested in linguistic fairness or
similarity to their mother tongue. Since starting Turkish in 2007 or
so I can't count the number of Koreans I've told about how similar it
is to Korean in terms of word order and vocab formation, how Turkic
languages are used all the way from Cyprus and Turkey all the way over
to western China and so on, and I've yet to convince a single person
to learn it. The attitude is "first I'll perfect my English, then I'll
think about it." But just last month I suggested to a girl I know that
she start learning German, and now she's doing that, in spite of being
harder than English (just try saying Pfeffer and Pflanzen when your
mother tongue doesn't differentiate between p and f and doesn't have a
ts sound either). The main attraction is culture, and pretty much the
only way an IAL can appeal to them is if it's related to that culture.
I've convinced a few people to learn Ido here because of that, in
spite of a user base of only about 1500. But Turkish? Forget it.
Worldlangs, even more so.

--
http://mithridates.blogspot.com