Dave MacLeod wrote:
 > I'm not sure you understand the Asian mindset. People here are proud
 > of the effort they've put into learning English, even if they're not
 > very good,

I'm sure they are. Nobody likes it if someone comes and says: English is
too difficult for *you*.

 >  and they're not interested in linguistic fairness or
 > similarity to their mother tongue. Since starting Turkish in 2007 or
 > so I can't count the number of Koreans I've told about how similar it
 > is to Korean in terms of word order and vocab formation, how Turkic
 > languages are used all the way from Cyprus and Turkey all the way over
 > to western China and so on, and I've yet to convince a single person
 > to learn it. The attitude is "first I'll perfect my English, then I'll
 > think about it." But just last month I suggested to a girl I know that
 > she start learning German, and now she's doing that, in spite of being
 > harder than English (just try saying Pfeffer and Pflanzen when your
 > mother tongue doesn't differentiate between p and f and doesn't have a
 > ts sound either). The main attraction is culture, and pretty much the
 > only way an IAL can appeal to them is if it's related to that culture.

You are right. Too bad that the conIALs have very little culture of
their own, except Esperanto. Learning Ido give direct access only to Ido
culture, literature and community. It's pretending to link it to some
general Western culture. There is no such thing, concretely speaking.
Even if there was, you wouldn't access it by learning Ido. You would do
better by learning some natural Western language, even if you learn it
only poorly.

 > I've convinced a few people to learn Ido here because of that, in
 > spite of a user base of only about 1500. But Turkish? Forget it.
 > Worldlangs, even more so.

We are talking about constructed languages. The other thing, besides
culture, that will get people's attention is propaganda. The general
idea of IAL is probably the reason that brought all of us here. It is a
powerful idea, although maybe world wide IAL will never be reality. The
idea of impartial worldlang is in certain aspects more powerful than the
idea of partial Eurolangs. But do people care about it? There are some
idealists that do, many others don't give a damn.

--
Risto Kupsala