>> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Dmitri Ivanov <lingwadeplaneta@...>
>> wrote:
>>

>> > (But of course to take "Allah" for "God" would be wrong.)
>>

>> Not necessarily wrong, but probably not very smart. For a word like
>> "god",
>> it's definitely best to use a word from a language that other people
>> won't
>> be offended by.
>>

>It's especially difficult in Pakistan and India. IIRR Asura is god in
>Pakistan but demon in India, and Daeva is god in India but demon in
>Pakistan. We have taken boh. It's Slavic and related to Hindi's
>Bhagavan and bhakti (love).
>

>> > Swastika is basically an ancient solar symbol, as well as other
>> > crosses. I think most peoples on Earth worshiped Sun in some period of
>> > their history. One of the Russian solar gods was named Swarog. Another
>> > was called Hors - the word related to "horosho" (good) (and to
>> > Sambahsa's khauris). Sun was associated with boon, good. I am not sure
>> > if the Hindi "surya" (sun, also adopted into LdP) is related to "su"
>> > (good) but that is possible. Another widespread Hindi name for the sun
>> > is "suraj" which might be understood as "good ruler" (but that's only
>> > my speculation).
>> >

>> This is the kind of thing I am very interested in. How do people come up
>> with words for certain things, and how are these words related?
>Actually, I
>> set up a wiki to put down my notes on these kinds of words (
>> http://worldetymology.pbwiki.com/). I don't know quite how to do it,
>but I
>> think it would be wonderful to have a reference that shows exactly those
>> kinds of things, i.e. what words are related to one another.
>>

>Give the password for the wiki to Olivier and you'll be happy! :)
>About "window": in Russian "okno" is very close to "oko" (eye).

Sellamat prients!
Dobroe utro, dorogoj Dmitry!

Every auxlang can translate something like "good day", but if we want
something more general, we have to look at different languages. For formulas
of salutation, those coming from muslim countries are often the most
widespread. As you all know it, I have "sellamat" in Sambahsa, which is related
to Arabic "salam". I debased it by making a "volksetymologie" from "sell" which
means "good, well, blessed", and I deduced "amat" from the Romance
languages and made that it means "pleasant". So, "sellamato dien!"
means "good pleasant day"!
I especially like LdP's swasti and I have adopted it for Sambahsa. For example,
at the end of a letter, I think it's something less formal than "con sellsto
namos" (you recognize the superlative of "sell"; "namos" is "reverence,
salutation" from Sanskrit "namas" as in "namaste!" and from Sambahsa "nam"
= "name").
Swasti comes from su + asti = "well being". Svastika meant not only the cross,
but "barde". The svastika cross symbolises the (westward) course of the sun
in the sky and is thus a benefic symbol. The nazi cross is a "sauvastika" (it is
a "long-grade" derivation of "svastika") which turns in the opposite direction.
For those knowing symbolism, they immediately recognize the evil intentions of
Nazis. Indeed, the words "svastika" or "sauvastika" are unknown to most
people. In German, we say "Hakenkreuz" ("hooked cross") and in French "croix
gammée" (from the Greek letter gamma).
In IE, the root "su" means "well", and we don't know if it is the same root "su"
that means "black" too. "Sûrya" is Sanskrit is etymologically equal to
Greek "Helios", from an older "Swelios" (and "sol" in Latin, Spanish, the
Scandinavian languages and Sambahsa). Did it lead to "su" meaning "black"
because of the burning effect of sun (and fire) ? In all cases, "sow" (and
swine) comes from this root, originally pigs (wildboars) were half-wild and had
black hairs (it was still the case in the Middle Ages when swine went astray in
the cities and fed on the garbage on the streets). It was opposed
to "porkos" ,  the young wild swine whose fur is striated (for "perk" means "to
striate" in IE; it is "pehrk" in sambahsa).
To my knowledge, "saurog" is an Ossetian name (Ossetians are the
descendants of Scyths which had a strong influence on the Eastern Slavs). It
was a beautiful horse with clear fur but a black streak  on his back. Ossetian
Prince David Soslan would have bought one in exchange of a whole
village. "Rog" means "horn" in Russian and it may come from Iranian. It may
refer to the fact that the hero bearing this name had his skin as hard as horn
like Achilles or Siegfried. Siegfried's true name in Old German was "Sivrit"
(whose meaning may have been "black horse"). One of the last versions of his
legend was the "Hürnen Siegfried" = "the hornskinned Siegfried".
"sw" turns to "kh" in Parsi, leading thus to the Russian loanword "khorosho".
Sambahsa "khauris" (good, charming, delightful) is inspired by these words and
by Old Greek "kharieis" = "charming", from another IE root "ghar" that we find
in the word "grace". It has given the word "charisma". "Khauris" is thus
international, as it even matches with LdP "hao" from Mandarin!
God is "div" in sambahsa (cf Latin "divine" from IE "deiwos" = day light, and
therefore "benefic god"). "Bog" in Slavic comes from Iranian, and there is of
course Sanskrit "bhaga" (chance, fortune) from the verbal stem "bhaj" "to
share, to distribute". It must have given "baik" in Malay, and then "baaie"
(many) in Afrikaans. In Sambahsa "baygh" means "very, a lot", "bayg(h)" is "to
belong" and "bayga" is "fortune". Thus "baygat" is "wealthy" like "bogatyj" in
Russian!

Swasti ed khauris sabd quantims!
Olivier
http://sambahsa-mundialect-org.blogspot.com