--- In [log in to unmask], Olivier Simon <cafaristeir@...> wrote:

> Is there not in Finnish a word like "risti" meaning "cross"? I think
it comes
> from "Christ". Surely Risto (*Kristo?) will know the answer.

Indeed Fasmer says that fin. risti < rus. krest (cross) which comes
from "Christ". However I remember reading somewhere that krest is also
somehow related to kresi, krasnyj and even hors. Kresi is an old word
meaning "to turn, bring back to life". You know the word "voskresenie"
(sunday), literally "resurrection". Today it's Easter in Russia (yes,
so much time after the French one; I wish all Christians had holidays
at the same time), and people say to each other "Hristos voskrese!"
(Christ has arisen). In old times solstice was called either "kres"
("turning point") or "krasnaja gorka" (red hill). "Krasnyj" meant not
only red but also good, beautiful (krasivyj) and it is a usual epithet
of sun (krasno solnyshko) so I wouldn't be surprised if "krasnyj" and
"hors" are related.

> >I would rather think about Sanskrit's swarga (heaven, paradise).
> >
> Yes, you're right. "Svarga" is the "Daylight" divinity. It comes
from "svar" (the
> same root as "helios" in Greek) and "ga" is a suffix of location
(maybe related
> to English "to go" and sambahsa "gwah").

Once I had an idea to adopt "svar" as a unique greeting. In principle,
it's sunny and 1 syllable. But in French it could be understood as
"evening" while in modern Hindi either as "voice" or "pig".

Khauris nawehrg!
Dmitry

PS. I'm thinking to adopt the Chinese "dyen" (dian) for "electric".
Usually we take a European word if most European languages agree, but
dyen is so much easier; besides you don't have to be a prophet to
predict that soon almost everything electric will be produced in
China, and words with dian may become widely known.