On Apr 26, 2008, at 1:58 PM, Philip Newton wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 8:18 PM, ROGER MILLS <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Stevo wrote:
>>
>>> There are many homophones in Klingon.  I consider that one of its
>>> disadvantages.
>
> One reason is that some scenes with Klingon dialogue later received
> different subtitles, so the same sequence of sounds had to mean both
> the original text and the "revised" one.
>
> (For example, "jonta' neH" for "engines only" / "want prisoners!" -
> from which comes the animate plural -ta', the concept of "Clipped
> Klingon", and the lack of 'e' in {neH} constructions.)
>
>>  I think Mr. Okrand was not without a sense of humor:
>
> Oh indeed - there are numerous puns in the language.
>
>>  QeD science
>
> I don't think I ever noticed this one before, though!
>
>>  are a few that struck my funny-bone.
>
> DaS boot :)
>
> Also, the names of the fingers come from the names of the Finger Lakes
> in New York State, which I thought was pretty interesting. While the
> names of the toes come from "This Little Piggy"...
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>

Cool. Out of curiosity, I Googled "Klingon puns" and found <http://
www.kli.org/wiki/index.php?Puns%20in%20the%20Vocabulary%20of%
20tlhIngan%20Hol>, which lists a lot of puns (and probably some
coincidences that look like puns). I'm currently rereading _The
Klingon Dictionary_ and have noticed a few puns, but didn't realize
there were so many!