On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 5:01 AM, Mr Veoler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dirk Elzinga wrote:
> > It can go both ways.
>
> a) Does this mean that none of the ways are more common than the other,
> or generally more expressed?

I don't know if one is more common than the other. But neither is so
uncommon that it would be out of place in a naturalistic constructed
language. Of course, it's your language and you can do what suits you;
you're in charge!

> b) Is there a natlang analogous to my system: any of /n S l/ in all codas
> and any of /n S l x/ in word-final codas?

From a typological point of view, it seems (to me) to be an odd collection
for non-final and final codas. Are there other coronal consonants besides /n
S l/? If so, it seems reasonable to allow them in coda position as well. Are
there other velar consonants besides /x/? Is /x/ a suffix? Having larger
codas in English accommodates several kinds of inflectional and derivational
suffixes (think of words like jump-ed or fif-th-s).

But like I said above, it's your language, and you should do what suits you.
You may find after playing with it for a while that you develop your own
rationale for the disposition of consonants in syllable codas.

Dirk
--
Miapimoquitch: Tcf Pt*p+++12,4(c)v(v/c) W* Mf+++h+++t*a2c*g*n4 Sf++++argh
La----c++d++600