Matahaniya ang Lars Finsen <[log in to unmask]>:

> Later, they carried it one step further and invented the
> noun "gylle" for the stinky stuff they were spreading,

German _Gülle_ [log in to unmask] 'Golden' is unsurprisingly _golden_,
though _gülden_ exists, too, but that is dated.

Regards
Carsten

NB: Not completely relevant to this question, but I looked
it up nevertheless:

Kluge (2005) says _Gülle_ meant just "puddle" in MHG,
cognate to Sw. _göl_; it shifted to its current meaning only
way later. _Gold_ on the other hand is from PGerm. *gulþa- <
PIE *ġʰḷto- (also the source of _gelb_ and _grün_). Cognates
to that are Dutch _goud_, Engl. _gold_, Sw. _guld_, Isl.
_gull_, and considering ablaut also ChSlv. _zlato_, Latv.
_zelts_.

--
Tenena, Tayamang 20, 2317 ya 24:00:01 pd
Monday, April 28, 2008 at 07:16:37 am