Can't it be both?  That is, a typographical practice in which the
mystery character is conventionally used, but understood by
compositor, printer and reader to be standing in for a small raised
"c."

It seems to me that this is parallel to an issue that occurs with
French.  As I recall, in French typography accents on capital letters
are, or were, "optional" primarily because there was physically not
room on the type to place the accent.  In both cases a typographical
limitation is solved by some substitution in a way that becomes a
standard practice.

Steven

--
Steven Dast <[log in to unmask]>

University of Wisconsin Digital Collections Center
Memorial Library Room 431
728 State Street
Madison, WI  53706
Phone: (608) 265-8736 / 265-3059