On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 12:43 -0400, David Sewell wrote:
> I'm working in the planning stages of an online publication that is
> destined to combine archival documents that will be transcribed and
> tagged as born-digital TEI-XML, plus digitized published volumes that
> contain many document transcriptions embedded within editorial narrative
> along with many partial quotations from document transcriptions. Thus
> there will be at least three sorts of documentary "objects":
>
>   1. Born-digital TEI document instances (<TEI>)
>   2. Entire embedded texts (<floatingText>)

We have a similar setup here at www.nzetc.org, except using P4 so we
have <text> rather than <floatingText>.

> Bibliographic metadata for each of these documentary objects will need
> to be structurally identical or at least homologous so that they can all
> be searched and retrieved using the same criteria.

That makes a lot of sense.

> Of course <floatingText> and <cit> can't take a TEI header,

Actually a floatingText (as a member of class att.declaring) can be
explicitly associated with its own bibliographic metadata in the header.

> and the
> bibliographic information within <cit> texts is often incomplete (and
> may not be fully accessible within the transcribed publication in any
> case).

If you mark up the quoted texts using quote/floatingText you can, as
above, associate it with its own metadata in the header.

Regards

Conal
--
Conal Tuohy