Is the character distinct from these Unicode characters:

 http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/02bb/index.htm

 http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/02bd/index.htm

and any of the similar characters referenced on those pages? Or could it
be considered a variant of one or another?

DS

On Tue, 13 May 2008, John W Kennedy wrote:

> Closely examining "André: a Tragedy in Five Acts", by William Dunlap (New
> York, T. & J. Swords, 1798), I see that the symbol is neither a superscripted
> c, for it has the basic comma shape, nor a left single quote, for, while it
> closely resembles one, it is closer to the baseline, so that it dips below x
> height, which a single quote does not do, and its top is well below ascender
> height, which a single quote meets.
>
> In short, I believe an application to the Unicode Consortium is in order; at
> present, this character is neither accepted nor in the pipeline. I would
> volunteer to shepherd it myself, but I am completely without credentials and
> so ignorant that I cannot even provide appropriate termini a quo & ad quem.

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA
Email: [log in to unmask]   Tel: +1 434 924 9973