On May 13, 2008, at 12:53 PM, David Sewell wrote:

> Is the character distinct from these Unicode characters:
>
> http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/02bb/index.htm

In the example that I have, the glyph is similar to 02bb, but it
consistently placed nearer the baseline.

However, I finally managed to find a few genuine left single quotes in
the back matter of "André", and I find that cannot clearly distinguish
them from this Mc sign. In the particular font being used, it appears
that left and right, single and double quotes are placed low, while
apostrophes are placed high.

However, I am dealing here with scans. I am not sure what I would find
with an original document and a magnifying glass.

--
John W Kennedy
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and