-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dot Porter
Sent: 15 May 2008 10:57
To: Croenen, Godfried
Cc: [log in to unmask]

Dear Croenen,

The issue you're running into appears to be a problem with the
declaration of <div>
(http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-div.html).
I'm not the best at reading declarations, but <figure> is a member of
model.common while <head> is a member of model.divTop, and any
elements from model.divTop must occur before model.common or they
can't appear at all. So it isn't that <figure> is an alternative to
<head>, exactly, it's that elements from model.divTop can't appear
after any elements from model.common.

Anyway, thinking of it this way the simplest answer might be to add
<figure> to model.divTop in your schema, since this is something that
happens often in your manuscripts. Then <figure> and <head> will be at
the same level, and you'll be able to place your <figure> before
<head>.

Dot