In our text (Janet Little's _The Poetical Works
of Janet Little, the Scotch Milkmaid_, 1792), the
character appears to be

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/02bb/index.htm

but as John Kennedy has noted it is set closer to
the baseline: its top is indeed well below
ascender height, whereas the apostrophes in this
text (for instance) have their tops at ascender
height. The text doesn't contain any single left
quotation marks used as such that I can find, but
its left double quotation marks are also set
higher than this character is.

best, Julia