I am a cross-over lurker on the TEI list in that I am a documentary
editor who reads both SEDIT-L and TEI, rarely posting to the latter. At
the Jefferson Papers Retirement Series, we've had a good deal of
experience tagging a wide variety of historical documents--including
accounts--in XML. We use an XML editor, XMetal. Our staff has been able
to tag more of the complex kinds of formatting over the years as they've
gotten more experience. When we encounter really difficult material, we
include an image of the page with the underlying transcription (for
search purposes). Depending on your expectations and plans for your
project, I would endorse the idea of putting your data in XML for both
print and possibly electronic publication.

Sue Perdue

Susan H. Perdue, Senior Associate Editor,
Papers of Thomas Jefferson: Retirement Series
Monticello
P.O. Box 316
Charlottesville, Virginia 22902
phone 434 984-7519