[log in to unmask] wrote:
>> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of ROGER MILLS
>
>> In the process of converting some OO files (mostly just text,  no
> bells and
>> whistles) to Word, I've discovered that the Word files are 2-3
> times bigger
>> (in KBs).  Why???
>
> Only 2-3 times!  They're usually more than that.  The reason is that
> a DOC contains more than just raw text.  It also has to store all
> the formatting information.  You can always do a "save as" in word
> to store it as plain text.

It's not really the formatting information --- OO has formatting
information too. It's the fact that the Word format is pretty much a
copy of whatever's in memory (relating to the document) at the time you
press "save". So that includes some useful stuff like detailed undo
information (ever wrote something embarrassing in a Word document, then
deleted it? Copy/Paste the contents to a new file before you give it to
someone else) and a lot of apparently useless stuff as well.

Very convenient for Microsoft's purposes, much less so for everyone else.

--
Tristan.