Oh, to clarify: there is currently an official OS X build of
OpenOffice, available in binary release and everything - it just uses
the X Window System rather than the Mac's native GUI.  It is
nevertheless a native app that runs locally on the Mac; it's not like
you have to settle for running it on a Linux box displaying back to
the Mac or anything.

On 5/4/08, Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> NeoOffice works fine for me, but as a Java app it is noticeably slower
> - too slow for some folks to tolerate.  It also lags behind the
> official OO releases featurewise while the port is updated, which
> mostly doesn't matter now but did during the long wait for the 2.x
> version..  I'm definitely looking forward to the native Cocoa port of
> OOOO.
>

> On 5/4/08, Kelly Drinkwater <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > FYI, for Mac users, there's NeoOffice (OSX version of OO) -- I think
> > OO is making its own Mac version, but it hasn't come out yet.
> > I used to have to use the X11 windowing thing to use OO on my Mac, but
> > that was annoying (though it did work).

> > >  > FWIW, I used to use MS Office exclusively. A year ago I switched
> > >  > using Kubuntu, and thus tried out Open Office
> > >  >
> > >  > I have yet to find anything that I can't do in OO that I could do
> > >  in
> > >  > MSO, though I expected otherwise. I had to add a small hack to get
> > >  it
> > >  > to read MSO2k8 .docx files, but that's about it
> > >

> > > I'm glad to hear that.  I've been wanting to get away from M$
> > >  products for a long time now but couldn't justify it because of a
> > >  reliance on COTS due to work and such, but it only took a quick
> > >  glance at Vista to finally push me over the line into Linuxland.  I
> > >  just put together a new media box with Mythbuntu on it. Just for
> > >  kicks, I also installed OO.  So far I like most of what I see in
> > >  Ubuntu, and even tried a couple of Windows executables running under
> > >  Wine.  Has anyone successfully used MS-Office with Wine?
> > >
> > >  BTW:  Anyone know how to change the messages in MythTV?
> > >

> --
>
> Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>

Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>