Noelle Morris wrote:
> Weird; I never knew that non-American English speakers thought of "lemonade"
> as a different thing. In the US, "lemonade" is uncarbonated, sweetened lemon
> juice, as are similar constructions with "-ade" at the end; off the top of
> my head, I can only think of limeade. I refer to Sprite and the like as
> either "clear soda" or "lemon-lime soda"; someone above mentioned orangeade,
> which I can only assume they mean a carbonated drink, in which case it would
> be "orange soda".

There's Gatorade, if that counts. "Kool-Aid" may be related.

That reminds me: I have a carton of "LIMONADA  LIMEADE" ("made with
real limes" as opposed to fake limes?) in the refrigerator. I wondered
what "lemonade" is called in Spanish if "limeade" is "limonada"....

It is, as Americans would assume and expect, non-carbonated.

The lack of a generic word for drinks in the Sprite / 7-Up / Sierra Mist
category in American English might seem a bit awkward (pause as you scan
the menu to see which brand this particular restaurant serves), but it's
not much different from "cola" in practice -- I'd typically order a
"Coke" or "Pepsi" (whichever is on the menu) rather than a "cola"
(unless "cola" is part of the name, as in "Cricket Cola").

On the other hand, root beer is "root beer" (not "A&W", "Barq's", or
whatever), and ginger ale is "ginger ale" (as opposed to "Schweppes" or
"Canada Dry").