> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jim Henry

> > As with many things, it really comes down to what one is used
to. I find it
> > looks much better to have them on the inside, even if it's not
logical, and
> > that's the way I set them when I print
> > a small book. Those outside of North America
> > will probably think they look best outside because that's what
they're used

> I tend to use "logical quotes" (punctuation outside the quotation
> marks unless it's really part of the quotation) for technical
writing,
> and traditional (American) quotes for essays and fiction.

That's sort of how I do it.  I know the "proper" way is to put
punctuation within quotes, but I frequently am writing things of a
technical nature so I will often put punctuation outside the quotes
because I don't want someone typing an extra period or comma where
it's not going to work.

> > to. (This reminds me of the
> > thread about currency sizes. Those who live in countries where
each
> > denomination is a different size think it quite odd that
> North American
> > currency
> > has the same size for all, and those in North America
> > find it quite odd to different different sizes.)
>
> A friend, who collects currency, explained to me that the purpose
> for varisized currency is so that blind people can tell
denominations
> apart by touch.

I recently read something about a lawsuit pending in the U.S. about
this to get the paper currency somehow distinguishable for the
blind.   Personally I wish they'd do like the Aussies and make each
note a completely different color so the denominations can be
identfied at a quick glance.  I'm not sure there's an easy way to
accomodate the blind.  Someone could easily just cut a piece of
paper down to a particular size and fool them.  Maybe putting some
Braille holes, but those may be easy to forge too.