On 6/8/08, kaleissin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Whenever there's an error-message saying that the server can't be
> reached/is gone, it's been restarted in order to fix a bug or add
> something new, so that's not a bug to report.

IMHO as a professional web dev, this is a bad way to do it, because it
conflates non-bug with bug status (meaning that if your app *actually*
goes down, which it will, you don't get any emails telling you
something's wrong), and is a poor UI.

Instead, use a maintenance page, a la
http://www.techiecorner.com/97/redirect-to-maintenance-page-during-upgrade-using-htaccess/

You're in PHP, so I don't know if there's something similar for you,
but for me using Rails + Capistrano it's as easy as cap
deploy:web:disable :)

You already know my opinions about the app itself. Congratulations and enjoy. ;)

- Sai