On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Rick Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 03:04:15 EDT, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
>>When will appearance in print (I mean only hard copy) cease being a
>>determining factor, and frequency of usage on the internet take its place?
>
> Should lexicographers consider graffiti too? Seriously, if a few dozen people make up a
> word and spray-paint it on walls and railcars, is that word worthy of induction into the
> hallowed halls of dictionaridom?

IMHO: yes.

Dictionaries are supposed to be catalogues of use, not dictums
thereof; the only sensible criterion for inclusion I can see is
whether it's sufficiently likely to be encountered to be worth the
cost.

In an electronic dictionary, space costs nothing. In a standard one,
it's still pretty marginal per word.

- Sai